REMIC is pleased to announce that we have been approved by FSCO to provide the following mandatory CE courses. You have up to March 31, 2018 to complete the course. Mortgage Brokers must take the 2018 Ontario Continuing Education Course for Mortgage Brokers while Mortgage Agents can take either course.
Mortgage Agents: 2018 Ontario Continuing Education Course for Mortgage Agents
- 5 hour course
- 15 question quiz with unlimited attempts
- online: $30; in-class $50
Mortgage Brokers: 2018 Ontario Continuing Education Course for Mortgage Agents
- 7 hour course
- 22 question quiz with unlimited attempts
- online: $40; in-class: $60
- Agent course: 5 hours; Broker course: 7 hours
- 6 modules (chapters) with an associated manual, supporting documentation and a quiz.
- As soon as you register you have immediate access to the course and you can get started right away – you have until March 31, 2018 to complete the course
- Online quizzes (15 questions for the agent course and 22 questions for the broker course) with unlimited attempts
Advantages of the online course include:
- Convenience: Complete the course when and how you want. Everything is done completely online, so as long as you have an internet connection you are good to go. The course is mobile-friendly, meaning you can access the course from your tablet or smart phone.
- Flexibility: Finish the course right away or work slowly depending on your situation. Unexpected things can happen and the online course allows you to prioritize your time without missing out on course material.
- Individual Instruction: Throughout the course online you have constant access to your instructor via email and through the message centre in the course. This allows you to ask more direct and personalized questions that you may have otherwise not posed in a classroom environment.
- Lower Cost: The online course cost is $30 offering you a less expensive option than the in class course.
In Class Course
- One day workshop, at either our Toronto or Mississauga location
- Runs from 9AM – 3PM (agents) and 9AM – 5PM (brokers)
- End of class Quiz (15 questions for the agent course and 22 for the broker course) with unlimited attempts – you’re there until you pass!
Advantages of the in class course include:
- Increased Interaction: The in class course allows for interaction with your peers as well as live instruction from the teacher. Participation is forged through group discussion and an analysis of case studies.
- Face Time with Instructor: Live instruction gives you immediate feedback and clarity on your questions and inquiries.
- Networking: The in class experience gives you the chance to interact with peers and exchange ideas.
- Hard Copy of the Manual: With the in class course you are given a hard copy of the manual, which is yours to keep.
Chapter 1: Fraud
Brokers and agents apply best practices, in their daily operations, for preventing, detecting, and reporting mortgage fraud
- Explain the direct and indirect consequences of mortgage fraud.
- Analyze schemes used to perpetrate mortgage fraud, highlighting the red flags for mortgage fraud (including falsified documentation).
- Recommend practices that mortgage brokers and agents can apply in their daily operations to combat mortgage fraud.
Chapter 2: Disclosure
- Discuss the various types of broker and agent compensation arrangements and the related disclosure requirements.
- Discuss the various types of material risks associated with a mortgage (including syndicated mortgage) and the related disclosure requirements.
- Analyze the consequences of not providing a borrower or investor/lender with the required disclosures.
- Analyze the consequences of not providing complete and truthful disclosure to Regulators on applications/renewals for licensing.
- Differentiate between a co-brokered mortgage transaction and simple referral (including the related disclosure obligations).
Chapter 3: Suitability of Mortgages
- Determine the elements that must be assessed when analyzing the suitability of a mortgage for a specific borrower or investor/lender in order to assist them with making an informed decision.
- Evaluate the suitability of syndicated mortgage investment (SMIs) for investors/lenders.
- Apply best practices for demonstrating that the required mortgage suitability analysis was conducted
Chapter 4: Advertising
- Readily identify public relations materials that contain misleading and/or deceptive information
- Discuss practices that brokers and agents can apply to ensure their use of social media, and other online fora, complies with the MBLAA and its Regulations
Chapter 5: Role of the Principal Broker
- Describe the duties and responsibilities of the Principal Broker and how these impact the daily activities of brokers and agents.
The following section is for Brokers only
Chapter 6: Role of the Principal Broker
- Describe the elements that should be included in a brokerage’s policies and procedures and the purpose of each.
- Recommend strategies for effectively communicating the brokerage’s policies and procedures throughout the brokerage, and to external stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Apply processes for monitoring mortgage transactions, in particular private lending and syndicated mortgage investments, to ensure required disclosures and suitability assessments have been made and documented.
- Recommend processes for ensuring a brokerage recruits and authorizes only brokers and agents that meet the suitability requirements for working in the industry.
- Evaluate the behaviour of brokers and agents to assess their compliance with the MBLAA and its Regulations and/or the brokerage’s policies and procedures.
- Recommend strategies for leading/influencing brokers and agents to conduct themselves in a manner that complies with the MBLAA and its Regulations and the brokerage’s policies and procedures.
- Discuss the Principal Broker’s role in promoting an effective and collaborative relationship between the brokerage and Regulators
At Your Brokerage
At your brokerage
REMIC will conduct this course at your location for 10 or more registrants. If you don’t have the space we will hold a dedicated course for you at our Toronto or Mississauga location.
- Call us at 877-447-3642
- Email Holly Deroia at email@example.com
- Visit us at 2175 Sheppard Ave East suite 307, North York, ON M2J1W8