REMIC Mortgage Agent Course Live Webcast - $385
All web class courses include full online resources and run from 9:30 am to 4 pm. Due to ongoing delays with Canada Post, textbook delivery may take up to 7-10 days to arrive.
|September 19 - 23, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|September 26 - 30, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|October 3 - 7, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|October 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 2022||Weeknights over 4 weeks 6:30 - 9 pm||Live webcast||Register|
|October 8 & 15, 2022||1 Week Mixed Mode||Live webcast||Register|
|October 9, 16, 23, 30, November 6, 2022||5 Sundays||Live webcast||Register|
|October 10 - 14, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|October 17 - 20, 2022 (9AM to 5:30PM)||Mon-Thurs||Live webcast||Register|
|October 24 - 28, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|October 31 - November 4, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|November 7 - 11, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|November 5 & 12, 2022||1 Week Mixed Mode||Live webcast||Register|
|November 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24, 2022||Weeknights over 4 weeks 6:30 - 9 pm||Live webcast||Register|
|November 13, 20, 27, December 4, 11, 2022||5 Sundays||Live webcast||Register|
|November 14 - 18, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|November 21 - 25, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|November 28 - December 2, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|December 5 - 9, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|December 3 & 10, 2022||1 Week Mixed Mode||Live webcast||Register|
|December 12 - 16, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
|December 19 - 23, 2022||Mon-Fri||Live webcast||Register|
REMIC offers 3 different types of live webcast registration (courses) designed to meet the varying needs of our students who prefer the live-class experience. All courses run from 10AM - 4PM (9:30 AM to 4 PM as of Jan 1, 2022) and all modes include:
- A hard copy of the mortgage agent textbook (shipping extra)
- Immediate full online access including a exam preparation guide and practice exams
- An in-person exam and a free in-person rewrite if necessary (In-person exam dates will be available post-COVID, additional fees may apply for online proctored exams)
Live webcast courses are perfect for you if you prefer the live course experience but do not want to attend a physical in-class setting. During the web class you will be able to ask questions and get immediate response from the instructor.
Online Course Summary:
Course Length: 47 hours (estimated)
Course Delivery: In class or in class & online
Final Examination: 3 hours (Online through our Online Proctored Exam partner)
Enrolment Period: one week up to 6 months
REMIC’s textbook ‘Mortgage Brokering in Ontario – Agent Edition is what REMIC’s mortgage agent course is based on. The textbook is comprised of 23 different Chapters as per below, that touch on all the aspects that are included in the mortgage process. If you are looking for a detailed breakdown of the type of information that is in the course, you can click here to view the full table of contents.
|Chapter 1: Market Overview||Chapter 13: Application Analysis – Application Ratios|
|Chapter 2: Basic Mortgage Concepts||Chapter 14: Application Analysis – Borrower Credit|
|Chapter 3: Advanced Mortgage Concepts||Chapter 15: Application Analysis – The Property|
|Chapter 4: Property Ownership in Ontario||Chapter 16: Choosing the Lender|
|Chapter 5: Regulation and Legislation||Chapter 17: Submitting the Application|
|Chapter 6: Transaction Overview||Chapter 18: Borrower Disclosure|
|Chapter 7: Insurance in the Mortgage Industry||Chapter 19: Closing the Transaction|
|Chapter 8: Calculating a Mortgage Payment||Chapter 20: Contract Law|
|Chapter 9: Attracting a Client||Chapter 21: Mortgage Remedies|
|Chapter 10: First Contact||Chapter 22: Mortgage Fraud|
|Chapter 11: The Initial Consultation||Chapter 23: Ethics and Mortgage Brokering|
|Chapter 12: Application Analysis – Borrower Documents||Final Case Study|
The Final Examination:
The RMAC Final Exam can be completed through our Online Proctoring Service any time before your course expiration date, although we recommend booking the exam at least 7 days before that date. RMAC provides you with all of the material you need to prepare for the exam, including an exam preparation quiz that based on previous exams. Once your exam is completed, the review process takes up to 3 days. If you pass the exam, you'll then get access to your certificate!
Exam format: Online Proctored Exam (through our Online Proctored Exam Service partner)
Exam length: 3 hours
Question format: Multiple Choice (some questions will reference a case study)
Attempts: 2 attempts (REMIC pays for your first attempt, and you pay for a rewrite through our Online Proctored Exam service if required. You may choose to wait for in-person exams to resume if you would prefer a free rewrite. REMIC is the only provider that offers a free rewrite! However please note that due to current government regulations, in-person exams are not available at this time)
Passing grade: 60% (30/50)
Please see the Online Proctored Exam Rules.
Prerequisites for the course:
Live webcast registration of the mortgage agent course in Ontario is available to anyone; however it is recommended that you have at least a high school education with equivalent English or French language and math skills.
Prerequisites for licensing:
Once you finish the course you will then join a brokerage and apply for your license. The Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) has set out the following additional requirements in order to become licensed after completing the course:
- be 18 years of age or older,
- be a resident of Canada,
- have a mailing address in Ontario that can receive registered mail (not a post office box),
- be authorized by a Mortgage Brokerage to deal in mortgages,
- work for only one Mortgage Brokerage,
- meet the Mortgage Agent education requirements, and
- have a valid e-mail address (this is necessary for the application process)
In class Registration Enrollment Policy / Academic Handbook
Click here to download the student enrolment policy/academic handbook
FAQ Topics- Click on a topic to see the available questions
- Tax Deductions
- RMAC Exam
- Online Assignments
- Job Placement
- Registration / Paying for a course
- Online course
- In Class Courses
FAQ Questions - Click on a question to see the answer
- How long is the final exam?
- How many questions are on the final exam?
- Where can I write my final exam?
- When will I get my grade / know if I passed?
- When do I get my certificate if I pass?
- What do I have to bring to the exam?
- What if I disagree with my exam grade?
- I'm not prepared for the exam. What can I do
- What if I fail the exam?
- What is the pass/fail rate?
- How long is the course valid/good for?
- How do I apply for my license once I'm finished the course?
- Do I have to take continuing education to maintain my license?
- Is this course recognized by the regulator / Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO)
- What is the difference between an agent and a broker?
- How can I pay for a course?
- How do I register for the mortgage agent licensing course?
- How do I receive my textbook?
- What is the cost of the in class registration?
- Are there any prerequisites for in class registration?
- Once registered, how long does it take before I get access to the online course?
- Do I have to begin the course on a specific date?
- How much time should I devote to the course each day?
- Who teaches the course?
- Do I need to be internet or "tech savvy" to take the online course?
- Do I have access to a "live" person in the online course?
- Am I on my own in the online course?
- Can I work at my own pace?
Is this course tax deductible? In depth questions regarding the use of the T2202A form in the tax preparation process should be directed to Revenue Canada. Tax guides are available from any Revenue Canada office or a Post Office. Revenue Canada also publishes a booklet called "Students & Income Tax" - Government form P105(E).
When do you issue the T2202A? Official receipts for income tax purposes covering tuition fees paid for qualifying courses taken during the preceding calendar year are available in late February. In accordance with Revenue Canada regulations, official receipts (T2202A Forms) are only issued for tuition fees totalling $100.00 or more. Materials and administrative fees are not eligible for tax deduction
How many questions are on the final exam? The final exam consists of 50 multiple choice questions, many based on case studies that are designed to test your knowledge and understanding of the course material as required by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO).
Where can I write my final exam?[During COVID-19] Exams are written entirely Online through our Online Proctored Exam partner. You must be alone in the room, and must have a computer and high-speed internet service that meet the minimum requirements. You can write from your own home. Please see the Online Proctored Exam Rules. [Post COVID (dates to be determined)] If you are doing the course online and within the GTA, REMIC hosts examinations at our head office training facility every week at Sheppard and Victoria Park. If you are doing the course online and are outside the GTA, you can choose to write your examination at any College or University test centre of your choice. If you are doing an in class course, you would write the examination on the last day of the course. REMIC offers courses at both our Toronto and Mississauga location.
When will I get my grade / know if I passed? Online Proctored Exams take up to 3 days to be reviewed. If writing in person in the GTA you will have access to your final mark online the same day as you wrote your examination. If writing at a College or University we will typically advise you within 24 hours as we request that the College or University fax your exam to us immediately as well as courier your original exam to us.
When do I get my certificate if I pass? Once you have been notified that you have passed the course you will be required to log in to the online section of the course and complete our feedback. You will then be able to print your certificate of completion and save it electronically.
What do I have to bring to the exam? You must bring your photo ID (either a driver’s license or valid passport) and one additional piece of valid identification, , a pen or pencil and your calculator. No other aids are allowed during the exam
Do I have to do the online assignments and discussions? No, however they are designed to help you understand the material and will greatly increase your chances of passing the final exam. While your final grade is based solely on the final exam, it is strongly recommended that you complete all assigned tasks in the course.
Is this course recognized by the regulator / Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) Yes, the REMIC Mortgage Agent Course (RMAC) is approved by FSCO and meets the educational requirements to obtain a mortgage agent license in Ontario.
How do I apply for my license once I'm finished the course? Once you have passed the course you must then be hired by a licensed mortgage brokerage that will initiate the licensing process on your behalf. This is a Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) requirement.
Do I have to take continuing education to maintain my license? Yes, there is a mandatory course that you will need to take before you are able to renew your license. In 2012 it was the Mortgage Broker Re-Licensing Education 2012 course, which was a 5 hour course. We provided it online for $30 and in class for $50.
Do I have to begin the course on a specific date? If taking RMAC online you have the flexibility to begin your course at any date, and you may complete it within as little as one week or up to 6 months - the choice is yours. If taking the in class course you must begin and end the course on set dates.
How much time should I devote to the course each day? This depends on your learning skills. While some take longer others learn and understand the material more quickly. The course is designed to be completed in 47 hours, which includes online exercises, tutorials, assignments, tests, and reading. We suggest that you set aside at least this amount of time to complete the course
How do I receive my textbook? You will receive an online login immediately following your registration that gives you access to an electronic version of the textbook, whether you are doing the course in-class or online. This way you can get started in the course right away! If you have selected the hard copy textbook, REMIC will also ship your textbook in 2 to 5 business days. Some shipping delays may occur due to COVID-19.
What is the cost of in class registration? The cost of the course is $345, which includes the textbook, online delivery, the examination and a free rewrite if needed. There are no other costs associated with the course other than GST.
How can I pay for in class registration? Through REMIC's secure shopping cart you can pay by credit card or using your PayPal account. In person at 2175 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 213 where you can pay by debit card, Visa, Mastercard, AMEX or cash.
Who teaches the course? Only qualified, experienced industry experts are used to teach the course, which was developed by veteran industry expert and REMIC President, Joseph J. White who is also the author of the textbook.
How does job placement work? Once you have passed the course you will have the option to create a free account in the REMIC Shark Bank. The Shark Bank allows you to view job postings from brokerages across Ontario. Like a typical job bank, mortgage brokerages will also have access to your resume and cover letter (should you include them), allowing them to contact you directly and setup an interview. REMIC will provide you information and resources that will assist you in the interview process; understanding the procedures and knowing the right questions are vital when choosing a brokerage to join as a mortgage agent. This is a completely free service for all previous REMIC RMAC students.
What if I fail the exam? If you fail the exam you can arrange a rewrite exam at no additional cost to you at the next available exam date. If you fail the rewrite you must re-enroll in the course, paying the full tuition. This is a FSCO requirement.
Do I need to be internet or "tech savvy" to take the online course? No, the course is designed for those with basic computing skills, however the course contains rich, interactive content designed to engage you.
What if I disagree with my exam grade? If you fail the exam you may request to review it at a time convenient to both yourself and REMIC. Please refer to our Policies and Procedures Manual for additional information.
Am I on my own in the online course? No, we are here to help! Your online course has a dedicated Professor who will interact with you, answering your questions and helping you along the way, when you need it. In addition, you are able to communicate with your fellow students in the course via chat message and open discussions.
Are there any prerequisites to taking the course? No, in class registration is available to anyone, however it is recommended that you have at least a high school education with equivalent English or French language and math skills.
When can I drop the course and get a refund? Can I transfer or get an extension? A student who wishes to withdraw from RMAC may do so by completing the request to withdrawal form and submitting it to REMIC. Please click here to open the Student Academic Policy which includes the withdrawal form. Upon receipt the request will be processed based on the following schedule: After registration but before the examination AND within 30 days of registration: 100% refund MINUS a $150 withdrawal fee. During or after the examination or after 30 days after registration: No credit and No refund.
What is the pass/fail rate? REMIC does not publicize these statistics as they have no impact on your individual results and in publicizing these types of statistics a student may put more or less work into the course than required based on his or her perception. Students may defer the exam indefinitely if he or she feels unprepared for the exam. There is no cost for this privilege.
I'm not prepared for the exam. What can I do? With your in class registration you can request to defer the exam without cost or penalty, as long as the course is completed within 6 months of initial registration. This option is available to both online and in class students. As REMIC hosts open examinations every week, when you are ready you can book yourself in and write the exam.
What is the difference between an agent and a broker? A broker and agent both ‘broker’ mortgages, however a broker may also hire agents and be the principal broker of a brokerage (equivalent to the Chief Compliance Officer). A broker does not necessarily earn more on a mortgage transaction than an agent. In addition, a broker must have been a licensed agent for at least two years, take and pass the broker course for licensing, and be approved by FSCO to upgrade his or her license from an agent to a broker.
Once registered, how long does it take before I get access to the online course?Once you complete your in class registration online you will have immediate access to the online information. This includes a soft copy of the textbook, audio-backed video tutorials, assignments, discussions, a case study and a full exam prep guide and practice exam. REMIC will also ship you a hard copy of the textbook within 2 business days. All registrations are subject to REMIC’s acceptance policy. Any students not accepted will have their registration fee fully refunded.
Is this course offered in house at brokerage's offices? REMIC offers the REMIC Mortgage Agent Course (RMAC) in house to several brokerages, based on the brokerage meeting certain quality control and professional standards. The course is taught by a REMIC Professor and standard exam security is employed regardless of the location of the course. There is no difference in the course cost, content and/or exam, regardless of where it is delivered. The cost of the course is $345. A brokerage may charge an additional fee to the student for additional services it provides before or after the course, however the REMIC charge is $345 and REMIC does not charge nor does it receive any additional fees.
How do I register for the mortgage agent licensing course? Registration is easy. Simply go to www.remic.ca/agentcourse and follow the instructions using our secure online payment system. You can also register in person at our head office training facility at 2175 Sheppard Ave East Suite 213, North York, ON, M2J1W8 (Business hours are Mon-Fri, 9AM - 5PM). We accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex, debit, cash or certified cheque.
What real REMIC graduates are saying
- "I enjoyed your course. As a former teacher, I found your materials easy to understand and apply to real life situations. I'm sure I'll be referring to the text a few times in the next few years!" - Jenni, Toronto
- “I would recommend this course to anyone who is seriously interested in the mortgage field. I would say this… that as mortgage agents you would learn everything you need in the course they teach you everything from marketing your business, to learning all the calculations of TDS, GDS, LTV, and mortgage payments. They also teach you phone scripts and how to close the sale and pretty much everything you need to know as a mortgage agent after finishing this course i am fully confident that i have learned what i need to implement it to the real world” - Harimohan S
- “Lots of useful test question and tutorials online. Great for the exam and for doing business. Book was well laid out. Didn't find that it was made easy. All the information was there and a bit of effort was necessary to learn it” - Leanne E
- “Joe was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful with the learning material. It was great that he was able to apply so many of the lessons to industry which helped put a lot of things into perspective… Being available by email and getting quick responses helped me to learn the information quickly and filling in any gaps along the way ”- Nathan H
- “I am a real estate salesperson and it is necessary for us to know the basic aspect and also availability of various sources to recommend to our clients” – Masoumeh S
- “This course I believe gives a very complete coverage of all aspects of being a Mortgage Agent. Near the end of the course and just before the exam all aspects were pulled together in very practical real life examples for more of a true hands-on understanding” - Ken M
- “There was not one single question left unanswered. I gained a substantial amount of knowledge by taking his course” - Amrit K
- “Extremely resourceful, made me feel quite at ease. He was instrumental in my success with the course” - Rattan N
- “John is an excellent teacher for this course. In class, he made sure that everyone was clear before moving on, encouraged participation in discussions and made sure that we knew that we could connect outside of class via email etc. Time in class was very efficient: start of day, lunch and other breaks were on time. I would recommend this class and John to anyone” - Sven K
- “REMIC, the teacher and staff obviously care about the student’s and their success. Personally, I'm very impressed with the welcome message every time that I log in to the course area. It’s appreciated! I learned more than I expected and enjoyed coming to class each day” - Sven K
- “Thank you for making this course so user friendly. The instructor was extremely helpful. I would love to take more courses with REMIC” - Adnan S
- “It has a wealth of information and I am sure I will have to refer to it when I am in the field” - Maria L</strong
- “Continue doing as you did for my course, comfortable, knowledgeable setting. Anyone has the opportunity to do well!” - Jason M
- “The course content is really elaborate. The assignments on the website really helped to prepare for the exam” - Ashish M
- “I'm going to recommend the course to friends & relatives” - Fernando P</strong
- “The instructor was invaluable in his guidance” – Mukesh C
- “It was very informative and helps me understand how banks, insurance, and real estate work” – Ronald J
- “This course is practical and ease to use” – Lilie L
- "I am in the Mortgage Agent Course right now and I am really excited about the opportunities in the Industry. I am enjoying your text book and really like that you have posted the review answers for each chapter of your text on your web-site, they are great to reinforcing learning." - L Wuttke, Toronto
- "The book was fantastic and helped me understand the course better because it was presented in a simplified format" - L Casiano, Mississauga
- "I really enjoy your textbook! It is excellent. Very practical and easily understood" - L Shen, Mississauga
- “The Text book is great and should be able to use for future reference. Ease of understanding” - Sunil A
- “Job well done! Very helpful and informative. Was knowledgeable and able to relay info into "real world" scenarios” – Justin J
- “Amazing!!” – Luis S
- “Gives you a good understanding of how the industry works and gives valuable info on the process of obtaining a mortgage” Justin J
- “I strongly recommend this in class course. It really helped me gain valuable insight and knowledge in the mortgage industry” – Zahidul I
- “Technical knowledge is excellent, Course delivery is superb, class management is friendly oriented, leading to a fun learning experience and total absorption. Best instructor ever” - Alfredo A
- “The course materials are easy to understand and excellent classroom presentations. Great Instructors!” – Ratan S
- “The course gives the prospective mortgage agent a firm grasp of the mortgage industry's "how it works" and a level of understanding to be able to pass the exam, but what is differentiating is the course direction of fielding the industry with professionals schooled in due diligence, attention to details and no compromise integrity” – Alfredo A
- “It is user friendly, time span was adequate and delivery of the course was effective” – Shabana M